Last Updated: Mar 02, 2017 Views: 391
To get an eBook to your Kindle eReader, you will need to check out a Kindle formatted eBook. OverDrive offers Kindle formatted eBooks - Axis 360 eBooks only work with Kindle Fire tablets.
Here is how to get a Kindle formatted eBook via OverDrive.
1. Go to our homepage www.sfpl.org and click on the eLIBRARY tab - then choose eBOOKS from the drop down menu.
2. This will bring you to a page listing all the eBook platforms we offer at San Francisco Public Library. Choose OVERDRIVE, the second option on the list.
3. You are now in the OverDrive platform. Click on the SEARCH icon, and then a search bar will appear. Under it will be a link to ADVANCED - click on that.
4. In the ADVANCED SEARCH page, you can limit your search to only KINDLE formatted eBooks - this makes searching through OverDrive's many titles a little easier. You can also limit your search to just titles in English, as well as Adult, Children, etc... When you have set your preferred parameters, click the SEARCH button.
5. Now you will see a listing of many titles, all available in Kindle format. The ones that say AVAILABLE on top can be checked out to you immediately; the ones that say WAIT LIST you will have to place a hold on - you will be able to check them out when one becomes available.
You can limit your search to only titles currently available by clicking AVAILABLE NOW under AVAILABILITY on the menu on the left hand side of the screen.
Find an eBook you can check out now and click BORROW - written below the cover image.
6. You will be prompted to sign in with your San Francisco Public Library card and PIN/password, if you have not already done so. The card number is listed on the back of your library card, and the PIN/password was created when you first signed up for your library card. If you cannot remember your PIN, please call any branch to have it changed, or try resetting it here: https://sflib1.sfpl.org/pinreset~S1
7. You have now borrowed the eBook - and you should see a message saying so near the top of our screen. Also, you will see a note saying BORROWED above the eBook cover image.
You now need to download the book to your Kindle eReader. You can do this by clicking on the little BOOK icon, LOANS PAGE link in the message letting you know your checked out the eBook, or by clicking the MY ACCOUNT link, and then selecting LOANS from the drop down menu.
8. Once you have successfully gotten to your LOANS page, find the eBook and click the CHOOSE A FORMAT box. Choose KINDLE BOOK from the drop down menu.
9. A new browser window should open - either asking you to log in to your Amazon account, or taking you directly to your Amazon library. Log in with your Amazon account information and password.
10. Once you have successfully logged in to your Amazon account, you will need to select the Kindle you want the eBook delivered to, on the right side of the screen. When you have made sure it is going to the correct Kindle, click the GET LIBRARY BOOK button.
11. The eBook will be downloaded automatically to your Kindle eReader the next time it is connected to wifi. It will disappear after it's expiration date - you do not have to return it.
If you have a Kindle eReader that does not have wifi capabilities, you will need to download the eBook directly to your computer using the DOWNLOAD NOW button, and then drag the downloaded eBook from your computer to your plugged in eReader.
How do I get library eBooks on my Kindle Paperwhite or Kindle Voyage?
The following instructions apply to the Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, and most Kindle eReaders. For more information about devices that are compatible with OverDrive, click here.
- Verify that your Kindle is connected to a wireless network: an active Wi-Fi connection is required for wireless delivery to a Kindle device. (If your Kindle is not Wi-Fi capable or you do not have an active Wi-Fi connection, plug your Kindle into your computer via the USB cable).
- From your computer, go to sfpl.org and hover over the “eLibrary” tab then click on “eBooks.” Click on the blue “OverDrive” icon. This takes you to the San Francisco Public Library’s OverDrive website.
- Click on a collection to browse or use the search box to find a specific title or author. Use the Advanced Search (by clicking on the magnifying glass icon) to narrow your search.
- When you’ve found a title to borrow, click on the word “Borrow,” located underneath the title cover.
- If you are not already signed into your account you will be prompted to log in now. Enter your 14-digit library card number and your PIN (usually four digits).
- Once the title is checked out, click on “Loans” to see your downloading options.
- Click the “Choose a format” button and select “Kindle Book” as your format. You will be redirected to Amazon’s website. Select a Kindle device or Kindle reading app, then click the “Get library book” button. Sign in with your Amazon account information.
- When you see the “Thanks!” message, the book will wirelessly sync with your device or app. Only click the “Download” button if you need to transfer the book to your device via USB.
- To return your Kindle book early, go to “Your Account” and then “Manage Content and Devices” on Amazon.com. Click the “Actions” menu (the three dots in a box) next to the book title, and choose “Return this Book.”
Chat & Phone Hours