Last Updated: Jan 04, 2017 Views: 209
To read library eBooks on the Kindle Paperwhite or Kindle Voyage, you will need to check them out from OverDrive, which offers compatible (Kindle format) titles.
The following instructions apply to the Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, and most Kindle eReaders. For more information about devices that are compatible with OverDrive, click here.
- Verify that your Kindle is connected to a wireless network: an active Wi-Fi connection is required for wireless delivery to a Kindle device. (If your Kindle is not Wi-Fi capable or you do not have an active Wi-Fi connection, plug your Kindle into your computer via the USB cable).
- From your computer, go to sfpl.org and hover over the “eLibrary” tab then click on “eBooks.” Click on the blue “OverDrive” icon. This takes you to the San Francisco Public Library’s OverDrive website.
- Click on a collection to browse or use the search box to find a specific title or author. Use the Advanced Search (by clicking on the magnifying glass icon) to narrow your search.
- When you’ve found a title to borrow, click on the word “Borrow,” located underneath the title cover.
- If you are not already signed into your account you will be prompted to log in now. Enter your 14-digit library card number and your PIN (usually four digits).
- Once the title is checked out, click on “Loans” to see your downloading options.
- Click the “Choose a format” button and select “Kindle Book” as your format. You will be redirected to Amazon’s website. Select a Kindle device or Kindle reading app, then click the “Get library book” button. Sign in with your Amazon account information.
- When you see the “Thanks!” message, the book will wirelessly sync with your device or app. Only click the “Download” button if you need to transfer the book to your device via USB.
- To return your Kindle book early, go to “Your Account” and then “Manage Content and Devices” on Amazon.com. Click the “Actions” menu (the three dots in a box) next to the book title, and choose “Return this Book.”
Chat & Phone Hours