Last Updated: Dec 12, 2017 Views: 2088
Tech’d Out is a pilot program that allows SFPL cardholders to borrow laptops and mobile wireless internet hotspot (mifi) devices for use outside the library so that you can connect with the internet on your terms!
What’s in the bundle?
SFPL provides a carry case containing:
- HP EliteBook 840 G3 laptop with Microsoft Office Suite and internet browsers (no disc drives)
- Verizon wireless internet hotspot 4G LTE device with unlimited data (coverage in the U.S. only) in protective clamshell case
- USB Mouse
- Laptop power cord
- Mifi power cord & wall cord
- Use Agreement & bundle contents list
Where can I get one?
During the pilot program, a bundle can be borrowed from the following SFPL locations:
Bundles MUST be returned to the location from which they were borrowed; they must be returned to a staff person at the checkout desk, not to a book drop or self-return machine.
What do I need to know?
- SFPL cardholders with fines of $10 or less can borrow a laptop / mifi bundle for up to three (3) weeks. You must show your valid photo ID when you borrow for the 1st time and sign the Use Agreement. Patrons with Welcome or Digital Access Library cards are not eligible.
- During the pilot program, laptop bundles cannot be placed on hold, and cannot be renewed. The library catalog will show real-time availability.
- Save your work on an external drive. SFPL's Laptops will not retain any saved files or customization once they shut down.
- SFPL Laptops will have access to the internet through the SFPL mifi device ONLY. You can, however, access the internet on up to 6 devices connected to the mifi.
- Laptop / mifi bundles cannot be borrowed if you already have a library laptop or ipad checked out, and vice versa.
After you borrow one of SFPL’s laptop / mifi bundles, please tell us what you think! Fill out this brief online survey to help the library better serve your needs:
Chat & Phone Hours