Last Updated: May 07, 2020 Views: 77527
What is Hoopla Digital?
Hoopla Digital is a digital streaming service for library users to access eBooks, eAudiobooks, music, movies, and TV shows using portable devices like smartphones and tablets.
What do I need?
- Tablet, smartphone, computer, or TV with streaming capabilities
- Email address and password
- Library card number (only needed one time in the registration process)
- Hoopla Digital app or updated browser software (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, IE, Safari, etc.)
Go to hoopladigital.com and click on the blue Get Started button. (You may also use the free Hoopla Digital app to register. The registration process is similar.)
Step 2: Enter your information.
Enter your email address and create a new password. Review Hoopla Digital's terms and conditions and click on the Agree button. Once your account is verified, you will need this email address and password to sign into Hoopla Digital.
Step 3: Choose San Francisco Public Library.
San Francisco Public Library may appear in the list of nearby libraries. If San Francisco Public Library doesn't appear in the list, type it in the search box.
Click on the Next button to continue registering.
Step 4: Enter your SFPL card number.
Type your 14-digit library card number - without spaces - in the box. Click on the Sign Me Up button.
NOTE: If your library card number ever changes, you will need to update your Hoopla Digital account at Settings > Library > Library Card Number.
Step 5: Start using Hoopla Digital.
You're done! You will now be automatically signed into Hoopla Digital. If you need to sign into Hoopla Digital in the future, use the email address and password that you registered in Step 2.
If you need further assistance, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (415) 557-4400.
When you next check your email, you'll find a welcome message from Hoopla Digital, describing the library subscription.
If you ever replace your library card number, remember to update it in your Hoopla Digital account Settings.
If you are a first time user, download the free Hoopla Digital app from your device's app store. The most commonly devices are listed below. If you are using your laptop or desktop computer, all you need is a current web browser and the Widevine plug-in (see What is Widevine?).
Getting started on iOS
Getting started on Android
Getting started on the Web
Getting started on Fire TV
Where do I find Hoopla Digital on the library's website?
You can find the link to Hoopla Digital from our homepage by following the links to eLibrary, Articles & Databases then click on "H" for Hoopla Digital and scroll down to the Hoopla Digital link.
Alternatively, you can bookmark hoopladigital.com and access the library's collection with the username (email address and password) associated with your SFPL card number.
How does it work?
Library cardholders are allowed to check out 30 electronic items (e.g., eAudiobooks, eBooks, eMusic, eVideos) per month. There are no late fees. Once your item has expired, it will no longer play on your device. Check out periods are as follows:
- eAudiobooks – 21 days
- eBooks – 21 days
- eMusic Titles – 7 days
- eVideos (Movies and TV Shows) – 72 hours
How do I borrow a title?
Click on a title you like and then click the blue "Borrow" button.
Can I place a hold on items?
There is no need for holds with Hoopla Digital. Every title in its collection is available for check out 24/7. This means that if 200 library users want to check out a particular title, all 200 users can check it out without waiting.
Are titles downloaded onto my device or computer?
Titles can only be downloaded to mobile devices via the Hoopla Digital app. Downloading to desktop computers and laptops is not permitted, due to studio or publisher restrictions.
Can I renew a title?
Yes. The option to renew appears two days before the end of the borrowing period (21 days for eBooks, audiobooks, and comics, 72 hours for movies and television, and 7 days for music). A button will appear on the title screen with the option to renew the title. At this time, you can only use the renewal feature at hoopladigital.com. Please note that a renewal is the same as a new borrow, so a renewed title will count against your monthly limit (30 per month).
Here are instructions on how to use Hoopla Digital in the library catalog. Note, titles cannot be downloaded to a computer.
1. From our main catalog sfpl.bibliocommons.com, type the title you are looking for into the main search box at the top of the screen and click the magnifying glass or hit enter on your keyboard.
2. Click on the link that says Instantly available on hoopla.
3. This will open up Hoopla Digital in a new window. Click on the Borrow button.
4. Now you will have to log in to your Hoopla Digital account, or create one if you have not already done so. Hoopla Digital requires an email address and a current library card. You will also have to create a password.
5. Once you have registered/logged in correctly, you will have checked out the item. There will be information about how long you have the item checked out for in the green bar at the top of the screen. Press the Play button to stream the title instantly.
6. A new window will open up where you can control the playback and volume of the title. You will have to have a wifi connection to listen or watch anything on Hoopla Digital.
Patrons will find wireless networks at all buildings in the San Francisco Public Library system.
7. You can always access your titles by clicking on hoopla on the top of the screen.
8. This will take you back to a screen showing you what titles you have checked out, and you can search and add more via the Search box at the top of the screen.
Do I need to be connected to the Internet to access Hoopla Digital?
Yes, to access Hoopla Digital and to stream the content over Wi-Fi, 3G and/or 4G (if it is available in your area) you must be connected to the Internet. You can download content to a mobile device for later use when you are not connected.
Which devices and platforms are supported?
Currently, Hoopla Digital supports most Android, iOS, and Fire tablets.
For viewing on TV, Hoopla Digital supports the following platforms:
- Android TV
- Apple TV
- Fire TV
- Lightning Digital AV Adapter
- OS devices running operating systems 10 and above.
- Most Android devices running operating systems 4.4 and above.
- Amazon devices running operating systems 5.0.0 and above.
For more information about device compatibility, see "Supported Devices" on the Hoopla Digital help page.
What web browsers are supported?
Hoopla Digital supports newer versions of Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Safari. Some other browsers may work, but those listed have been confirmed to work. For best results, please ensure you have the most up-to-date versions of these browsers.
As of April 2018, Internet Explorer 11 is no longer a supported web browser for Hoopla Digital.
Widevine is a safe video player that Hoopla Digital uses via your web browser to play video content. Widevine is a free add-on for your browser that is owned by Google; it comes pre-installed on newer web browser. If you do not already have this installed when you attempt to play a video title in your web browser, you will see a notification that will direct you to the Widevine website. From there, you simply need to click on Install Now and follow the on screen prompts.
Why can't I access my account?
- Are you using the correct email address? Please make sure that you are using the email address associated with your San Francisco Public Library card number. If you have forgotten your password, please use the "Forgot your password?" tool to have your password reset. If you are accessing Hoopla Digital through another library system, you will need to use the email address associated with that library system's library card number.
- Did you replace your library card recently? If you have replaced your library card, sign into your Hoopla Digital account, go your Settings (bolt icon) and then Library to update your card number. If you no longer have access to your previous card number you will need to request to have the new number added to your Hoopla Digital account.
- Did you recently update your operating system? If you made any recent changes to your device or web browser, this could affect how Hoopla Digital operates on your system.
- Can someone look into this? Please submit a Help request to have a staff member review your Hoopla Digital account and respond to you within 48 hours.
If I have additional questions, how can I get answers?