Last Updated: Mar 15, 2018 Views: 8783
To get an eBook to your Kindle eReader (Paperwhite, Voyage), you will need to check out a Kindle-formatted eBook. OverDrive offers Kindle-formatted eBooks. Axis360 eBooks only work with Kindle Fire tablets.
Here is how to get a Kindle-formatted eBook via OverDrive.
1. Go to our homepage sfpl.org and click on the eLIBRARY tab — then choose eBOOKS from the drop-down menu.
2. This will bring you to a page listing all the eBook platforms we offer at San Francisco Public Library. Choose OVERDRIVE, the first option on the list.
3. You are now in the OverDrive platform. Click on the SEARCH icon, and then a search bar will appear. Under it will be a link to ADVANCED — click on that.
4. In the ADVANCED SEARCH page, you can limit your search to only Kindle-formatted eBooks — this makes searching through OverDrive's many titles a little easier. You can also limit your search to just titles in English, as well as Adult, Children, etc... When you have set your preferred parameters, click the SEARCH button.
5. Now you will see a listing of many titles, all available in Kindle format. The ones that say AVAILABLE on top can be checked out to you immediately; the ones that say WAIT LIST you will have to place a hold on — you will be able to check them out when one becomes available.
You can limit your search to only titles currently available by clicking AVAILABLE NOW under AVAILABILITY on the menu on the left hand side of the screen.
Find an eBook you can check out now and click BORROW — written below the cover image.
6. You will be prompted to sign in with your San Francisco Public Library card and PIN/password, if you have not already done so. The card number is listed on the back of your library card, and the PIN/password was created when you first signed up for your library card. If you cannot remember your PIN, please call any branch to have it changed, or try resetting it here: https://sflib1.sfpl.org/pinreset~S1
7. You have now borrowed the eBook — and you should see a confirmation message near the top of our screen. Also, the word BORROWED will appear above the eBook cover image.
You now need to have the book sent to your Kindle eReader. You can do this by clicking on the little BOOK icon, which will take you to your LOANS PAGE. You may also get there by clicking MY ACCOUNT and then selecting LOANS from the drop-down menu.
8. On your LOANS page, locate your eBook and click the Read now with kindle button.
NOTE: If you do not see the above screen, check your Settings to see if the "Kindle Preference" box has been checked.
9. A new browser window should open — either asking you to log in to your Amazon account or taking you directly to your Amazon library. Log in with your Amazon account information and password.
10. Once you have successfully logged into your Amazon account, you will need to select the Kindle device you want the eBook delivered to, on the right side of the screen. When you have made sure it is going to the correct Kindle, click the yellow GET LIBRARY BOOK button.
11. The eBook will be automatically delivered to your Kindle eReader the next time it is connected to WiFi. It will disappear after its expiration date — you do not have to return it.
If you have a Kindle eReader that does not have WiFi capabilities, you will need to download the eBook directly to your computer using the DOWNLOAD NOW button, and then drag the downloaded eBook from your computer to your plugged in eReader.
If you experience a problem with your Kindle book, click the Report Kindle Book problem link (below the eBook under your LOANS) and describe the issue in the pop-up window that appears. OverDrive's support team will reply to you.
Chat & Phone Hours