Last Updated: Jul 25, 2022 Views: 684194
All Are Welcome
Residents of California may receive a free library card. A San Francisco Public Library card opens the door to a world of information and entertainment. In addition to borrowing books, LPs, and museum passes, your card allows you to download digital media, use electronic databases, take online classes, use library computers, and more.
• 中文 Chinese
• Español Spanish
• English (PDF)
• 中文 Chinese (PDF)
• 日本語 Japanese (PDF)
• Русский Russian (PDF)
• Español Spanish (PDF)
• Tagalog Filipino (PDF)
• Tiếng Việt Vietnamese (PDF)
Fill out an Application
Apply online (or fill out and print the paper application) and then present a valid photo ID in-person at any SFPL location to receive a library card. The Library does not issue library cards online; you must visit in-person.
- People ages 13-18 can show valid ID or have a parent / guardian sign.
- A parent / guardian must sign for anyone under age 13.
- San Francisco residents who have a disability/long-term medical condition that prevents you from visiting the Library may use Home Library Services.
- Educators living or working in SF may apply for a Teacher Card.
- SFPL also offers Welcome, Digital Access, and Visitor cards for those who don't have a CA ID. Visitor cards cost $10 and are valid for 3 months.
Your library card and PIN are used to access your online account at sflib1.sfpl.org/patroninfo.
You may wish to register for a BiblioCommons account as well, and use it to track your checkouts and more. If you are logging into this account for the first time, you will need to enter your 14-digit card number (username) and PIN/password (password).
Resetting Your PIN or Password
If you have forgotten your PIN/password or need to reset it, use our PIN/password reset tool at sflib1.sfpl.org/pinreset.
Links & Files
- Library Cardholder Responsibilities
- Replace a Lost Library Card
- Renew Expired Library Card Account
- Types of Library Cards and Requirements
- BiblioCommons Account
- Classic Catalog Account
- ¿Cómo obtengo una tarjeta bibliotecaria?
- Reset Your PIN/password
- Cambio de PIN/Contraseña
phone / email / text hours: