Last Updated: Apr 30, 2017 Views: 18747
All Are Welcome
A San Francisco Public Library card opens the door to a world of information and entertainment. In addition to borrowing library materials, your card allows you to download digital media, search hundreds of electronic databases, take online classes, reserve library computers, and more. Library cards are free to residents of California.
Apply online and complete the application process by presenting a valid ID in person at any SFPL location to receive your library card. The Library does not issue library cards online; you must visit in-person. Homebound San Francisco residents may apply by mail.
- If you are ages 13-17, you can show ID or have a parent or guardian sign for you.
- A parent or guardian must sign for anyone under age 13.
- Are you an educator living or teaching in San Francisco? Teachers and educators may apply for Teacher Library Cards.
- Do you live outside of California or can't meet our ID requirements? You still may be eligible for a library card. We offer varying levels of access with Welcome, Digital Access, and Visitor cards. See Types of Library Cards and Requirements for more information.
- Learn more about fines and charges.
Fill out and print the paper form:
- English (PDF)
- 中文 Chinese (PDF)
- 日本語 Japanese (PDF)
- Русский Russian (PDF)
- Español Spanish (PDF)
- Tagalog Filipino (PDF)
- Tiếng Việt Vietnamese (PDF)
Chat & Phone Hours