Last Updated: Sep 17, 2019 Views: 179188
You may borrow an item for 21 days. Most items are eligible for up to 3 renewals of an additional 21 days each. See exceptions below, including LINK+ and InterLibrary Loan items.
You can renew materials online by logging in to your library card account:
- Login to your Classic Catalog account at sflib1.sfpl.org/patroninfo
- Login to your BiblioCommons Catalog account at sfpl.bibliocommons.com/user/login
- Renew with staff assistance via Chat at sfpl.org/contactus
- Renew ebooks
Why Can’t I Renew?
There are several reasons why an item can't be renewed:
- Outstanding holds (requests) on the item by other patrons
- An item checked out to you is 30 days or more overdue
- Your Library card account has a balance due of $10 or more
- Your Library card account is expired
- The item was already renewed as many times as is allowed
- It’s too soon to renew the item (no renewals sooner than 2 weeks prior to the due date)
- eBooks, LINK+ or ILL (see below for details).
LINK+ books may be eligible for one renewal. LINK+ materials cannot be renewed via the SFPL automated telephone renewal service. LINK+ materials cannot be renewed any sooner than 72 hours prior to the due date. Overdue items might not be eligible for a renewal.
InterLibrary Loan Renewals
InterLibrary Loan (ILL) items may be eligible for one renewal. Only ILL staff can renew items; contact the department directly at 415-557-4406. Items that are non-renewable are identified on the information band. Overdue ILL items are not eligible for renewal.
Chat & Phone Hours